Well hello there, loooong time no see right?! I don't even have an excuse this time, I just fell off...it happens. Happy New Year, btw ;-) This post is a bit random. One of my goals this year is to cook more and for the past 2 years I've been paying for eMeals service, but could probably count how many times I've used actually used them for dinners! That all changed yesterday when I made this recipe. Disclaimer: I didn't intend on writing this blog so excuse my iPhone pics. I promise next time will be better ;-)
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe. I really loved the flavor of the pasta! My picky husband even liked it too...well the pasta at least, he's not a big fan of tomatoes. Now I wish I could say that my son was on board but he wouldn't even taste it. I swear that child refuses to eat :-( Anyway, I highly recommend trying this out if you're looking for something new! If you do, please let me know what you think!
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
16oz Bag Chopped Fresh Kale
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
2 Cloves Garlic
1oz Pack of Fresh Basil
1/2 Cup Grated or Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Grated Lemon Rind (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
16oz Pack of Whole Wheat Rigatoni (I couldn't find any so I went with Rotini instead)
9 Plum Tomatoes (cut in half lengthwise)
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
* Prepare rigatoni according to package; drain and return to pot
* Heat 1tbsp oil in pan; add kale and cook until soft (about 3 minutes)
* Place pine nuts and garlic in food processor; pulse until minced
* Add kale, basil, parm cheese, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt and pepper; process until smooth. (I added a bit of water to get the right consistency)
* Add pesto to pasta and cook over med heat until warmed thoroughly (about 2 minutes)
* Preheat oven to 425F
* Place tomatoes, cut sides up on greased rimmed backing sheet
* Sprinkle with salt and pepper
* Bake 25 minutes or until soft
* Drizzle with vinegar and oil; sprinkle with parm cheese
*Serve and enjoy!
If you're interested in trying out eMeals, check it out & get 15% off here - http://bit.ly/1uGIM8o.
Until next time...whenever that may be!